[Vision2020] Judge OKs same-sex marriage in California

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 11:46:33 PDT 2010

Ted --

My suspicion is that it's unlikely to end up in the Supreme Court.
Article III allows only actual cases or controversies to come before
the court. California, the defendant, has declined to appeal the
ruling. Absent some sort of real, defined harm, here's no precedent
which would allow the proponent of a ballot measure to step into the
state's shoes and continue on with an appeal. There's actually a good
deal of contrary precedent.

I seriously doubt NOM's ability to find a representative plaintiff
who's been "harmed," in any real sense, by gay marriage. Consequently,
I suspect the decision will have to wait for the next gay marriage ban
to fall, and for the state to intentionally carry it to the Supreme
Court.

-- ACS