[Vision2020] Judge Overturns California's Ban On Same-Sex Marriage

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Aug 4 14:09:38 PDT 2010

Courtesy of CNN at:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/california.same.sex.ruling/index.html?hpt=T
2

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's
voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's
controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker found in his ruling that the ban
violated the Constitution's equal protection clause under the 14th
Amendment.

The closely watched case came some two years after Californians voted to
pass Proposition 8, which defined marriage as a union between a man and a
woman.

Neither opponents nor supporters of same-sex marriage said before the ruling
that it would likely be the last. Both sides said the decision will be
appealed and eventually wind up in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom "my spouse's significant other" Hansen

Moscow, Idaho

"Well, I was 40. I was childless. I was single, divorced. And I figured
there's got to be one other way to really piss off my mother."

- Carol Leifer on lesbianism