[Vision2020] Parks sentencing

Rosemary donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Tue Aug 3 17:28:03 PDT 2010

This morning Saundra Lund and I attended the sentencing hearing for Silas
Parks.  It was an obscene spectacle, thanks in large measure to Silas Parks,
his family, and The Beaver from Boise -an expert (psychological) witness for
the defense.  Public Defenders, Chuck Kovis and Ray Barker, deserve praise
for their professional defense of a whining weenie of a client.  Public
defense is a difficult, and often unpopular job requiring an enormous
reservoir of integrity and grit to do it at all let alone as well as Mr.
Barker and Mr. Kovis.  Mr. and Mrs. Parks, testified that their "brilliant"
son, was a frustrated student in high school who had headaches, difficulty
concentrating, and an inability to complete assignments.  His "volcanic
temper" [his mother's description] complicated his learning. He was a known
liar (from other testimony) and rationalized and blamed others for his own
failures.  Nonetheless, both parents are proud to proclaim that he was and
is a devout and compassionate Christian.  [Editorial note: WTF?????]

Did I mention how really, really smart Silas was? - his mother did at least
ten times during her testimony.  Mr. Beaver, and even the prosecutor and
judge were similarly dazzled by this crapola kid's obviously bent mind.
Arguably, the most offensive testimony (remember, Silas is so bright that he
mentored other students in high school) was Mrs. Parks declaration that
Sarah Parks had her own set of "problems." How dare she blame the victim?
She mentioned that Mr. Jackass has yet to return Sarah's things to her
family. He is "processing" them at his own pace.  Mrs. Parks also shared
with us that she has had some email contact with Sarah's family regarding
Sarah's personal items and she has found this limited contact "healing" for
her.  It is my sense that she needed to be on her knees begging forgiveness
from Sarah's family - that might institute a prelude to a genuine healing.

I am outraged, no, it is more than outrage, that this sanctimonious
simpleton is still excusing and justify her feckless, cowardly, spoiled brat
of a son.

Sadly, Mr. Smarty Pants Parks only received a 20 year fixed sentence.
Despite a lengthy yada yada yada for the cameras, Judge Brudie did not think
Parks deserved more than 5 years fixed for his arson conviction.  In this
instance Judge Brudie is sooooo wrong. I am hopeful that the electorate will
remember Judge Brudie's less than vigorous role in November when he is up
for re-election.

Bill Thompson's summation was adequate, albeit, several months late.  Silas
Parks is a cold blooded killer and arsonist; a conniving criminal with a
life-long history of violent temper tantrums whose accommodating and
enabling parents helped shape the histrionic little jerk who stood before
the court this morning. Despite years of counseling he has gained limited
(if any) insight into his behavior, and clearly lacks rudimentary impulse
control. With a catch in his voice, Silas told the court he plans to
concentrate on "serving" his fellow inmates in a positive way, and being
helpful to the staff and administrators of the prison. I'm not thinking that
this is a recipe for jailhouse success.

I've known some really smart people in my life, some of them I liked a lot,
others not so much. From what I observed today, Silas Parks is a bush
leaguer in comparison to most of them. The real brains, grace, and courage
in that court room this morning belonged to the arson investigators, law
enforcement personnel, Sarah's colleagues who were sitting in front of us,
and particularly Sarah's mother, sister, and cousin. They are, and should be
our heroes.

Once again, in Latah County it is the same old song and dance. Domestic
violence is pled down to disturbing the peace, which not surprisingly in
this instance, culminated in the death of a young women and her daughter.
We've seen it before in this county, and unless dramatic changes are made in
the punishment and accountability of domestic violence perpetrators we will
see it again.   Fifteen years for killing two people... As a lay person, I
don't give a rats ass that the properly worded charge is voluntary
manslaughter - this is not the time to toss around legalistic euphemisms.
Murder was done, and in effect, excused.  Because, by now we all know that
Silas Parks was smart enough to get away with it.

Rose Huskey