[Vision2020] The Long Suffering Vietnamese Finally Have Economic Freedom

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Wed Apr 28 21:26:58 PDT 2010

Greetings:

I started writing a column about my Vietnam tour, and after finishing up Hanoi I looked down at the word counter and it was at 900, and I still had to a very long skinny country to go!  The 3,200 word version is attached, and a shorter version is below.

Nick Gier

THE LONG SUFFERING VIETNAMESE FINALLY HAVE ECONOMIC FREEDOM AND RELIGIOUS LIBERTY

The 45th Anniversary of the Marine Landing at Da Nang
The 35th Anniversary of the Fall of Saigon

On March 24 I was at Bangkok’s new international airport, the fifth busiest in Asia and to me the most beautiful.  Along with my travel companions we boarded a brand new Airbus 321, Air Vietnam flight 830 to Hanoi. I thought to myself: "Forty years ago Americans flying this direction would be pilots on bombing runs." Over 80 percent of the ordnance dropped on Vietnam, triple the tonnage of both the European and Pacific theaters of World War II, was carried by F-4 Phantoms and F-105 Thunderchiefs from seven bases in Thailand.

As we drove into Hanoi from the airport we saw many bridges over the Red River that had been destroyed time and time again by U.S. bombs, only to be rebuilt or spanned by pontoons.  The river was crowded with boat traffic, mainly loads of basic building materials.

I had expected a drab Marxist-Leninist city, but everywhere we looked there were brightly colored town houses, which outnumbered the more shabby residences. With ornate French colonial ironwork, they are narrow, multi-storied structures because property prices are so high. We also saw huge high-rise apartment complexes and exclusive gated communities. Overseas Vietnamese are complaining that they have to pay the same amount for a condo that they paid for their homes back in Canada, Australia, or the U. S.  Economists are worried that the Vietnamese real estate bubble may burst with catastrophic consequences for the booming but fragile economy.

Hanoi’s inner city is vibrant and bustling with private stores piled high with goods and street-side restaurants doing a brisk business. The noodle soup called "pho" is the best in Asia.

The first evening in Hanoi our guide took us to the lowering of the flag at Ho Chi Minh's tomb and the next day we visited his famous house-on-stilts. Uncle Ho, as the Vietnamese call their beloved, ascetic leader, refused to live in the presidential mansion right next door, but he was shocked when he saw that workers had used the most expensive hardwoods to build his hut. A Buddhist temple right next to Ho’s home was filled with Vietnamese worshippers.

After interacting with Vietnam's farmers and small business men and women, I have concluded that these people are totally unsuited to Communist ideology. This should be no surprise because human nature in general rebels against totalitarianism in all its forms.

The "liberation" promised by the North Vietnamese Communists turned out to be another 15 years of oppression. Private property was abolished and every line of work, even the barbers, was collectivized. The experiment was a colossal failure, but since 1989 most property and businesses have returned to private hands and Vietnam is becoming another Asian economic "tiger."

Politically, Vietnam is still a one-party state with tight controls on the press and other media. After trying to discourage religion, the Communists now allow religious freedom.  The Buddhist temples and Catholic churches I visited were well attended and well maintained. Politically active Buddhists are not treated very well.

The next stop on our tour was Hue, the former imperial capital. The government has discouraged commercial development here, and it was nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of Hanoi. Much has been done to restore the many historical sites after the massive destruction of the Tet Offensive of 1968.

During the Tet Offensive in 1968 the Viet Cong invaded the city and their flag flew over the Citadel for 25 days.  The Communists rounded up South Vietnamese officials and, according to their own count, 2,720 were executed.  The additional bodies in mass graves may have been the work of the South Vietnamese army as it took back the city with the help of U. S. Marines.  As many as 5,000 Communist troops may have died, along with 631 allied troops and 5,800 civilians.

>From Hue we drove along Hiway 1 to Da Nang, where we saw condos, beach hotels, and golf courses be built all along the coast.  Forty-five years ago March 8, the U. S. Marines landed here as the vanguard of a massive troop build up that ultiamtely reached over a half million.

Before the trip I assumed that it would be politically incorrect to refer to Ho Chi Minh City by its former name, but all the Vietnamese we met called it Saigon without any noticeable fear of censure. With a mixture of French colonial buildings and wide boulevards, new high rises, and miles and miles chaotic commercial development, Saigon is now a thriving city of 7 million people.

The war museum was a real downer for all of us.  We had seen most of these horrific images and we knew most of the tragic stories behind them, but to experience them all in one place and a short time was emotionally devastating. Most of us went to the Vietnamese children's peace art display for a break.

During my trip I was most impressed with the morale of these hard-working, dynamic people.  They have suffered far too much from outsiders (and their own Communist government) who have thought themselves better judges of the people’s best interests.

Democratic governments believe that it is the people themselves who know best what they want, and that those wants ought to be fulfilled by private enterprise or government programs approved but majority vote. My fear is that Vietnamese, just as the Chinese apparently do, will accept the lack of political freedom as long as they have the freedom to worship, to enjoy their professions, and to run businesses on their own.

Nick Gier was co-president of the Student-Faculty Committee to End the War in Vietnam from 1965-66 at Oregon State University.  He taught philosophy at the University of Idaho for 31 years.