[Vision2020] Say What? and "Billy Graham's Beach"

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Tue Apr 27 11:12:43 PDT 2010

Hi Roger,

Of course Franklin Graham has a right to his opinion, but there are thousands of Muslims in the military, along with sensitive Christians, Buddhists, Jews, the others, who believe that inviting someone preaching that Islam is an evil religion is definitely not good for the morale of our troops.  It also sends the wrong message to hundreds of millions of moderate Muslims throughout the world who want to believe that we are not involved in a new Crusade against their religion.

I have a great story about Franklin Graham.  We have enjoyed several snorkeling and Mayan ruins trips to Belize.  One day our boatman took us  to "Billy Graham" beach for a lunch of fresh grilled fish.  I explored the property, which was in horrible condition.  The main building was an A-frame and it was littered with whisky bottles.

I asked our boatman if this really was Billy Graham's property and he answered Yes, but he also added that he had never come here.  But his son Franklin came there many times with his girlfriends, his booze, and most likely an obnoxious speed boat.

The son is not a reflection of his father and he has put the good name of the father to shame.  For me being born again does not erase a life of vice.  Some people call that "easy grace."

By the way, Roger, I meant to respond to your claim that the Nazis nationalized businesses and that makes them "leftists."  I didn't look it up becausse I'm sure that the fascist governments in Germany, Italy, and Japan kept most businesses in private hands and corporate leaders were more than willing to do the governments' biding.  It was a deadly combination.

Please take better care of your claims.

Nick