[Vision2020] Racism Enshrined in Arizona Law

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 25 11:32:14 PDT 2010

In part, Keely wrote:

"I'm really disappointed in the tone of much of the discussion here.  While
it is true that I have much more liberal views on immigration, and
particularly illegal immigration, than most of you, the point of my initial
post is that the Arizona bill signed into law by Gov. Brewer is a
civil-rights, human dignity horror . . . Finally, I'd ask each one of you
who think we need to get tough on "illegals" how hungry your kids would have
to get, or how threatened your wife would have to be, before you'd do
something like cross a border without papers to feed or protect them.  Then
I'd ask you to consider that you probably won't ever have to face that
situation, and perhaps extend some understanding to those who have."

Of course, there are a lot of other valid points in Keely's posts on this
topic, but I parts I've excerpted are particularly powerful to me.

Keely, I've been trying to come up with a response to AZ's lunacy and
blatant disrespect for our Constitution, but I've been absolutely, totally,
and completely gobsmacked by it.

About the only comments I can make are that there's a foul wind blowing in
this country, and it's been blowing for quite awhile now.  It chills me to
the bone and it terrifies me to my core.  We've seen/heard/read - even here
- justifications and excuses for the racism that's dramatically increased
and become more "socially acceptable" since 9/11.

While I understand that illegal immigration is a valid issue, I don't think
legally institutionalizing racism is the way any just or intelligent
government would deal with it.  Of course, anti-intellectualism is running
rampant among those in this country who have reason to fear the effects of
all the red meat they've been throwing out for years now.

We see this in the gutting of education, which is an attempt  to dumb us
down to their moronic levels . . . to keep us fat, stupid, and quiet.

We also see this in the teabaggers at Friendship Square and elsewhere who
hold up signs proclaiming that "Millions of Americans doesn't equal a fringe
movement" or some other stupid platitude when the reality is they've been
quite content for the millions of Americans without health care to escape
consideration, or millions of American women to be discriminated against, or
for millions of LGBT Americans to be denied equal protection, or for
millions of real American children to be beaten or started or raped or
neglected . . . or for millions of Americans of color to become the targets
of legal racism.

My only hope is that perhaps this will be the bridge too far . . . that this
will be what wakes up real Americans who genuinely love this country and
what it was truly founded on who have been silent in complacency and refused
to see the unconstitutional direction the wingnuts are hell-bent &
determined to force upon us.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****