[Vision2020] Raise Our Taxes

John Pool jpool at moscow.com
Fri Apr 23 20:03:47 PDT 2010

Mo,

I don't believe that I have any particular ax to grind with regard to, or
against, any particular college. I KNOW there is good work being done at the
university, much of it by people who have a lot more to do than they used to
because there are fewer people amongst which to share the load. With regards
to particular administrators I suspect any one has as many admirers as
detractors, so I certainly don't feel that I'm in a position to advocate the
removal of a particular person.

I think the frustration, that I share with many of my friends amongst the
faculty and staff, is that while academic departments are being forced to do
more with less, the central administration is not sharing the pain. If
anything, there are MORE central administrators at a time when there are
fewer people, and programs, to administer. The standard joke around our
house is that, at the rate funds are being cut, pretty soon all the courses
will be taught by video with the faculty at some far-away location, and all
that will be left is a football team, a basketball team and, of course, the
central administration.

My memory for particular cut-back periods is not good, so I can't name a
date, but 5-6 (?) years ago the university was again faced with a budget
shortfall. By some quirk of planning the central administration was lumped
in with facilities for cost-savings. Facilities was decimated by cuts, but
not a single administrator lost his job.

Do I want to see intercollegiate football, or basketball, or track & field,
cut? Not especially, though I've not been to a game in the dome in decades.
Not being a fan doesn't mean that I don't see the value of athletics in a
well-rounded academic environment. But I do want to see the pain shared, and
I don't see it being shared in an equitable way. It seems like academic
programs are being eviscerated, and athletics and the central administration
are getting a free ride. Or so it seems to me. I don't want to see any
particular ox being gored, but if there's going to be some gore-ing done, I
think it only fair that all units of the university lose some of their
life's blood.

John Pool