[Vision2020] 18 Veterans Commit Suicide Each Day!

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Apr 23 15:18:04 PDT 2010

Even one vet committing suicide is too many -- but 18 souls a day?  That's a tragedy beyond what most of us can comprehend.

Because I have no military, much less combat, experience, I don't have the understanding others have of what makes suicide so prevalent among the troops who return home.  I'm assuming most of those who turn to suicide were recent combat veterans, and I'm going to assume that virtually none of them received the amount of high-quality, pro-active, sensitive and effective care -- medical, psychological, social and spiritual -- they should have had available to them upon their return.  As a country, we seem eager to ship 'em out, but we don't seem to know, or care, about what happens to them when they get home.

My heart goes out to all returning vets and their families, particularly those who have experienced first-hand the horror of suicide.  Those of us against the war in Iraq may hate that any American was ever sent to fight for a lie, but we cannot turn our backs on men and women who did go once they return.  Of course, a nation that spends more on war and aggression than on care and prevention -- in issues of health as well as defense -- reaps what it sows.  It's a shame that families have to bear the burden.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com