[Vision2020] Raise Our Taxes U of I - Seriously Look at Hard Choices

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 23 14:01:48 PDT 2010

Wayne Price inquires:

" . . . does a university need an extensive and expensive sports/
athletic program to be a functional and well recognized place of
higher education?"

Although I may strongly agree with the spirit of your query (funds better
utilized in departments whose primary function is education), Mr. Price, I
may not agree with its implied intent (reduced support for UI's
sports/athletic program(s).

As these athletic programs become more and more successful, this success
is reflected in increased contributions to coffers of various departments
on campus.  For instance:  When the Vandals beat Southern Missisippi in
the 1998 Humanitarian Bowl, contributions to alot of departments showed a
dramatic increase (especially in the College of Engineering).  I suspect
that some departments may have already experienced a minor increase
("minor" primarily due to the current economic situation) in alumni
contributions.

So . . .

Until such activities as drama recitals (which I have attended on
occasion) and art exhibits (to which I am slowly becoming addicted) start
drawing 12,000 - 15,000 fans to each event, I will . . .

Seeya at the games, V-peeps.

UI '96

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown