[Vision2020] [CORRECTED] Cat’s 1,300-Mile Road Trip a Mystery

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 18 06:56:24 PDT 2010

Courtesy of today's (April 18, 2010) Spokesman-Review.

Cat’s 1,300-mile road trip a mystery
Associated Press The Spokesman-Review

CHICAGO – No one knows how a tabby cat named Charles traveled the 1,300
miles from his New Mexico home to Chicago, but he’s set for a free flight
home.

Charles disappeared about eight months ago while his owner was out of town
and a friend was caring for him.

“Oh, I was crushed, and I found out while I was away volunteering with
Habitat for Humanity, and I was so upset because I was in New Orleans so
there was nothing I could do,” said Robin Alex, of Albuquerque.

Then last week, Alex received a call telling her Chicago Animal Care and
Control had picked up her wandering cat as a stray. Staffers contacted
Alex after finding that Charles had a tracking microchip embedded between
his shoulder blades.

But Alex said she could not afford the round-trip ticket to Chicago to
bring Charles home, so she was afraid he might be euthanized. Enter fellow
Albuquerque resident Lucien Sims, who was moved when his mother sent him
an online story about Alex and her pet.

Most importantly, Sims was on his way to Chicago for a wedding, so he said
he would go to the shelter, pick up Charles and bring him back to New
Mexico.

Sims has made arrangements for Charles’ return, including getting American
Airlines to waive the cat’s travel fee.

Charles

http://tinyurl.com/Charles-the-Cat

Seeya round town, Moscow.