[Vision2020] Interesting read on US culture, politics, and the "social construction of race"

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 18 00:15:19 PDT 2010

An excellent read - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I found this part particularly interesting:

"By displaying all these tropes of traditional whiteness, Obama's candidacy
disrupted the very idea of whiteness. Suddenly whiteness was no longer about
educational achievement, family stability or the command of spoken English.
One might argue that the folksy interventions of Sarah Palin were a
desperate attempt to reclaim and redefine whiteness as a gun-toting
ordinariness that eschews traditional and elite markers of achievement."

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100503/harris-lacewell

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.