[Vision2020] Say What?

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Fri Apr 9 12:37:22 PDT 2010

Roger writes:

"In this view the extreme right and extreme left would meet."

I tend to think of the left/right debate in this way.  It would be easy to simplify things and say you're either on the left or right, but that's unrealisitic.

Both the left and right want government. I disagree that the right is somehow  against government. It's the utilization of government that may differ.

Most people want the same things: love and security.  When we feel threatened, we want to defend themselves. As civilized people we form government to do promote our well-being (or perpetuate the well-being of the status quo)

I think its money and morals (or greed and god) that change how that government operates which makes things very dynamic.  People form parties to try to stablize their grasp on power and use scapegoats to form enemies to rally against, whether based on truth or distortion. Thus you have the left and the right fighting over issues, using misinformation ideological faith to keep that going.

For whatever reason, we aren't all on the same page. Misinformation keeps us from seeing things the same.  It's probably impossible for everybody to know the Truth at this point, but as individuals we can be open minded enough to not form firm judgements and thus have flexibility in our politics.

I think if people get accurate information, their views on issues will change.

That's the circular nature of left/right.

While I may be viewed as being a "lefty" I in no way share beliefs of nazis. From the political compass test I took I fall right where Ghandi apparently was (so I can't complain) and the nazis are on the opposite end. That feels right to me.

Roger can think nazis are from the left based on his definitions, but in my head, nazi's are closer to the right.

But I don't like the left/right label, so let's just say nazis were arrogant, power hungry humans who acted like army ants destroying all in their path.

I think it had more to do with their animal nature than political position.

Garrett

Saundra