[Vision2020] Health and Welfare

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 8 10:53:40 PDT 2010

Hi Shirley,

In part, you wrote:

"The bottom line:  don't believe anyone in the legislature who says there
were no choices.  We had choices, didn't make them, and now people are
paying the price."

Thank you so much for making that point.  There were lots of different
options that could have been taken, and while none were perfect, any would
have been preferable to increasing the burden on the most disadvantaged
among us.

As a former H&W employee back in the 1990s, I have first-hand experience
with the dire hardship these office closures will pass along to those Idaho
citizens who happen to need the services of H&W.  This non-resolution
literally makes me ill.

At a time when Idaho's economy is in the toilet and more good people than
ever need a helping hand, it is flatly immoral, IMHO, for the legislature to
have wasted its time, energy, and resources on pure crap rather than taking
action to keep from erecting barriers to much needed services that can make
the difference between eating and going hungry, between getting a child's
ear infection treated and that child losing his/her hearing, between a newly
unemployed diabetic getting help applying for Medicaid to keep up with
his/her health care to be able to return to employment when there are jobs
available and letting that person fall through the cracks never to be
employed again, between child protective workers having a presence in
communities where they are desperately needed as prevention and protectors
and going back to blind eyes being turned left and right to abuse and
neglect, etc.

In a very real sense, in addition to "laying off" over 100 overworked H&W
employees, these office closures will have the very real effect of making
services inaccessible, delayed, and ineffective to those who need them the
most.

I don't think those effects can be looked at as "unintended consequences."
They can, however, be looked at as "heartless."

But, perhaps that was the intention of some in the legislature from the
beginning . . . I certainly wouldn't put it beyond those heartless
so-and-sos.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****