[Vision2020] Confederate History Month

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Apr 7 17:53:56 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the Governor of the State of Virginia at:

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/OurCommonwealth/Proclamations/2010/ConfederateHistoryMonth.cfm

Confederate History Month Proclamation

WHEREAS,  April is the month in which the people of Virginia joined the
Confederate States of America in a four year war between the states for
independence that concluded at Appomattox Courthouse; and

WHEREAS,  Virginia has long recognized her Confederate history, the
numerous civil war battlefields that mark every  region of the state, the
leaders and individuals in the Army, Navy and at home who fought for their
homes and communities and Commonwealth in a time very different than ours
today; and

WHEREAS,  it is important for all Virginians to reflect upon our
Commonwealth’s  shared history, to understand the sacrifices of the
Confederate leaders, soldiers and citizens during the period of the Civil
War, and to recognize how our history has led to our present; and

WHEREAS, it is important for all Virginians to understand that the
institution of slavery led to this war and was an evil and inhumane
practice that deprived people of their God-given inalienable rights and
all Virginians are thankful for its permanent eradication from our
borders, and the study of this time period should reflect upon and learn
from this painful part of our history; and

WHEREAS, Confederate historical sites such as the White House of the
Confederacy are open for people to visit in Richmond today; and

WHEREAS, all Virginians can appreciate the fact that when ultimately
overwhelmed by the insurmountable numbers and resources of the Union Army,
the surviving, imprisoned and injured Confederate soldiers gave their word
and allegiance to the United States of America, and returned to their
homes and families to rebuild their communities in peace, following the
instruction of General Robert E. Lee of Virginia, who wrote that, “...all
should unite in honest efforts to obliterate the effects of war and to
restore the blessings of peace."; and

WHEREAS,   this defining chapter in Virginia’s history should not be
forgotten, but instead should be studied, understood and remembered by all
Virginians, both in the context of the time in which it took place, but
also in the context of the time in which we live, and this study and
remembrance takes on particular importance as the Commonwealth prepares to
welcome the nation and the world to visit Virginia for the
Sesquicentennial Anniversary of the Civil War, a four-year period in which
the exploration of our history can benefit all;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Robert McDonnell, do hereby recognize April 2010 as
CONFEDERATE HISTORY MONTH in our COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA, and I call this
observance to the attention of all our citizens.

May I suggest to Virginia's Governor Robert McDonnel that he adopt a new .
. .

"Virginia State Song"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Virginia_State_Song.mp3

Seeya round town, Moscow.