[Vision2020] Passengers Pay Respects to Returning Vietnam GI

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 30 15:30:02 PDT 2009

Courtesy of the Army Times.

Passengers pay respects to returning Vietnam GI
By Kathleen Kreller

BOISE, Idaho — Passengers on Tuesday afternoon’s United Airlines flight
from Denver to Boise refrained from the typical chaos of getting off a
long flight and instead sat quietly in their seats while two somber
passengers deplaned.

The crowd was hushed until it gave a standing ovation to Ron and Jeff
Phelps, and their precious cargo.

The Phelps brothers were bringing their father home. Chief Warrant Officer
Don Phelps, a decorated helicopter pilot, was killed in 1965 during the
Vietnam War. His aircraft, his body and the bodies of three crewmates were
missing for nearly 44 years until the crash site was uncovered earlier
this year.

“As we were landing, the flight attendant was choking back tears. She said
that [United Airlines] is honored to be transporting the remains of a
fallen soldier in Vietnam,” Ron Phelps said Tuesday night. “As we were
getting off, we got an ovation from everybody on the plane. Emotionally, I
was already pretty well spent. ... That was it. I was tearing up.”

The brothers were returning from the military’s special forensics lab in
Hawaii where their father’s remains had been identified. When they stepped
onto the tarmac at the Boise Airport, their mother, brother and sister
were waiting, along with a military honor guard in crisp blue uniforms.

It was an emotional family reunion as the flag-draped casket emerged from
the airplane’s belly. The red, white and blue stood in stark contrast to
the gray skies and the gunmetal-colored commercial airliner.

Lori Phelps, the youngest of the couple’s children, sobbed as she caressed
the casket of the father she had never really known. Dan Phelps was somber
and quiet.

Phelps’ widow, Dee Phelps, dabbed at her eyes with a blue and white
gingham handkerchief.

“The first thing I said, I leaned over and said, ‘Mom, I brought him
home,’ ” Ron Phelps said. “‘It is a happy occasion. There might be a
little closure here, and think happy thoughts.’ ”

Law enforcement officers, veterans and a group of Patriot Guard Riders on
motorcycles escorted the family and the casket in a funeral hearse to
Cloverdale Funeral Home in Boise.

Phelps, who was 28 when he died, had been awarded the Distinguished Flying
Cross for his heroism. He flew more than 125 combat missions in less than
four months.

For decades, the family waited and hoped while the Joint POW/MIA
Accounting Command and family advocacy groups searched and lobbied the
United States and Vietnamese governments to continue searching and to
allow better access to crash sites.

Phelps is the third missing-in-action serviceman to be brought back to
Idaho since the Vietnam War ended.

He will be buried Thursday at the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery in Boise.

Chief Warrant Officer 2 Don Phelps

http://tinyurl.com/DonPhelps

Never forget.

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown