[Vision2020] Today's Hearing Important to UI community

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 29 05:49:40 PDT 2009

Courtesy of the "Letters to the Editors" section of today's (September 29,
2009) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Earl Bennett.

Today's hearing important to UI community

Most of the retirees from the University of Idaho are aware of the legal
action between UI administration and faculty/staff who retired under the
Early Retirement Incentive Program and the Voluntary Separation Retirement
Opportunities Program.

The dispute is over changes initiated by the UI in health and life
insurance that the retirees believe were guaranteed in contracts signed
with university officials when they retired.

It has taken some time for the paperwork to make its way through the
system, but resolution may be in sight. The hearing on a motion for
summary judgment concerning the lawsuit between UI and the ERIP/VSROP
retirees will be at 3 p.m. today in Courtroom No. 3 of the Latah County
Courthouse. I urge all UI retirees to attend this hearing.

It is not only an important legal case for all of us, but it will be an
interesting footnote to the university's history in which we all
participated.

Earl H. Bennett, Genesee

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."