[Vision2020] "A Piece of Ebony" (Kwapi T. Vengesayi, WSU)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 23 12:22:43 PDT 2009

The video intro . .

A video produced for the opening of Shades of Black 2009 highlighting a
certain aspect of the Black experienced.

The theme for Shades of Black 2009 was "A Piece of Ebony"; a theme that
hoped to highlight the diversity within ourselves and how in trying to
define blackness we run the risk of discriminating against our own.

Creator & Producer: Kwapi T. Vengesayi
Filmed by: Kwapi T. Vengesayi
Editor/Director: Dominic Shelden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzetkdYzY8

-----------------

About Shades of Black . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShadesofBlackShow

"'Shades of Black' is a unique and extremely entertaining cultural
showcase that highlights the different textures and dimensions of the
black experience. Featuring students and student groups of African descent
from Washington State University, the University of Idaho and surrounding
campuses, 'Shades of Black' presents a remarkable spin on tradition as
students deliver a vibrant take on black culture through mediums such as
dance, spoken word, step & stroll and song.

Created by Kwapi T. Vengesayi, 'Shades of Black' made its debut on
February 22, 2004 and since its inception, it has become one of the most
potent cultural events on the University of Idaho campus and more
importantly, has established itself as one of the most ainticipated
cultural showcase within the pacific northwest."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Logic insists that each person's reality if unique and a small part to a
bigger picture, a piece of ebony."

- Kwapi T. Vengesayi, WSU