[Vision2020] A Thought to Ponder

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Wed Sep 16 18:11:32 PDT 2009

Ted,

What I would say is that the "Department of Defense" doesn't work. All
it did was add an extra layer of bureaucracy and has done nothing to
increase efficiency or add to victory, what ever that is in this day
and age.
Since the DoD was created, name a war the US was victorious in. While
I believe in civilian control over the military, the DoD has gone too
far and it tends to go too much into the sphere of responsibilities of
the uniformed officer corps without using the established military
chain of command. They have all the authority with none of the
responsibility, and they are not subject to the Uniform Code of
Military Justice as they are not in the military.

And the DoD, for the most part, has become a dumping pot for patronage
positions, most filled by political hacks or incompetent former
military officers that couldn't hack it in uniform so they then come
back in a suit!
I worked for one Brigadier General that was passed over for promotion
even though the General he worked for was the President of the
Promotion Board - TWICE.
He then wiggled himself a position as a deputy assistant secretary of
defense, and could then really (and did) screw things up! He was so
"beloved" by not only his enlisted soldiers but also by the officers
that worked under him that we were ordered, in writing to attend his
retirement party! Otherwise no one would have been there!  In the
words of one of the older soldiers from Alabama, "That boy couldn't
lead soldiers to free liquor and loose women"!
And yes, he was one of the strong advocates of  using contractors/
mercenaries, and you see how successful that has been!