[Vision2020] PR - Camas Prairie Winery Congratulations

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Sep 16 14:11:42 PDT 2009

Press Release - City Commission Congratulates Local Business

To:      Interested Media

From:  Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor

            206 E. 3rd St., Moscow, Idaho 83843

Telephone: (208) 883-7006; Fax: (208) 883-7018

E-mail: griedner at ci.moscow.id.us

c:         Mayor, City Council, All City Users

Re:      City of Moscow Press Release

Date:   September 3, 2009

For Immediate Release:

City Commission Congratulates Local Business

Moscow, Idaho - Moscow's Sustainable Environment Commission extends its
congratulations to Camas Prairie Winery on their recent achievement in
becoming a DEQ Pollution Prevention Champion.  Their efforts in leading
the way towards a sustainable environment are admired and applauded
throughout our City and State, as well as on a national level as
evidenced by Senator Mike Crapo's visit in August.

Camas Prairie Winery's success as Idaho's oldest independent winery and
their reputation as a forward thinking company has increased as a result
of their successful application for a USDA Rural Energy Assistance
Program grant for the installation of solar panels which distinguishes
Camas Prairie Winery as Rural Development's first Idaho Solar Project.

The company's use of a tankless hot water system promotes energy
efficiency which is estimated to save approximately $1,500 in electrical
and natural gas costs, while the innovative steam sterilization process
reduces water use and saves 75 gallons of chlorine from entering the
City's wastewater system.

These efforts, coupled with the winery's choice to switch to bottles
which utilize less glass and therefore use less resources to produce and
lower shipping costs, illustrate why Camas Prairie Winery was a natural
choice as a Pollution Prevention Champion.

In recognition of the many great things Camas Prairie Winery has
accomplished and to highlight Pollution Prevention Week, Mayor Nancy
Chaney will be issuing a proclamation highlighting Pollution Prevention
Week.

###

Pollution Prevention Month Proclamation attached.

Pollution Prevention Week Proclamation

WHEREAS,   The City of Moscow takes pride in the environment and
livability of our City and our region; and

WHEREAS,   Moscow recognizes the importance of resource conservation and
sustainable business practices in supporting our quality of life; and

WHEREAS,   Minimizing generation of waste and life cycle costs is a
primary strategy for protecting our environment; and

WHEREAS,   Camas Prairie Winery one of Moscow's Main Street businesses
and Idaho's oldest independent winery has recently been recognized as a
Pollution Prevention Champion by the Department of Environmental
Quality; and

WHEREAS,   Recognizing Pollution Prevention Week in the City of Moscow
is an opportunity for the City to partner with businesses, environmental
groups, community organizations and the community at large to raise
public awareness of pollution prevention and sustainable environmental
practices.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Nancy Chaney, Mayor of the City of Moscow, do hereby
proclaim September 15th through 21st,  2009, to be

Pollution Prevention Week

in the City of Moscow, and I urge all citizens to join me in celebrating
sustainability in our community and across the nation.

DATED this 16th day of September, 2009.

Nancy Chaney, Mayor