[Vision2020] Say What?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Sep 16 09:04:46 PDT 2009

I think it's pretty clear that what Tom was saying was that the overall makeup of the Tea Parties, like the GOP convention, is overwhelmingly NOT Mexican, Black, or Asian, a point that can be made if, for example, you look at footage of the Democratic Party's convention and the GOP convention.

One group looks more representative of the wonderful diversity of culture, race, color and language we have in the U.S.  The other looks like a midwest country club circa 1950, or a typical Sunday morning at too many Baptist (or Presbyterian, or Episcopalian, etc.) churches.  If 11:00 a.m. on Sunday is the most racially segregated hour in America, a fact that speaks poorly of the Church as a whole, it's easy to suggest that the most racially homogenized political movement in the nation is represented by Tea Partyers.  That doesn't make them "trash," nor does it, in and of itself, make them bigots.  But let's not pretend that the Tea Party and 9/12 movements are anything other than the squeals and moans of the socioeconomic, sociopolitical majority -- white America -- as its grip on power is wrested from it.

Some people are terrified at what Pat Buchanan calls the "browning" of the U.S.; some people see that the cultural and ethnic evolution of this or any other country is nothing to be terrified of.  I think there's no real question of which group the Tea Partyers and 9/12ers belong.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com