[Vision2020] Booze and Ballots

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Fri Sep 11 15:16:58 PDT 2009

I've often wondered why we have the problem with over indulgence of
alcohol by the 18-21 age group, and finally came to the conclusion
that the law is wrong and needs to be changed back to the way it was
and legalize drinking at age 18.  The way the law is now, it actually
encourages over indulgence. Rather than being able to have one or two
legal drinks, the 18-21 group figures, I have it, I don't want to get
caught with it or I get an MIP, so hell, lets just drink it all -NOW!
I grew up in up state NY when the drinking age was 18, and honestly
can say we didn't have that problem. We actually stopped for a beer
(ONE BEER) on the way home from high school. We didn't have to hide
it, we didn't have to drink it all now. We could legally come back for
one anytime we wanted.

And along with this, and in light of the coming elections, I've often
wondered why the university students don't get off their main point of
contact and VOTE! In the last city wide election, there were 5022
ballots cast, and the most any council member got was 2847 (Tom
Lamar). Imagine some 11,000 students VOTING!  All 6 city council
members as well as the mayor could be U of I students or put into
office by the U of I students, if they would get their stuff together,
especially with election day registrations. And if we look at the "at-
will" employees of the city, especially the Chief of Police , City
Attorney,and the City Supervisor, their jobs could be on the line if
that were to happen.

And with 11,000 votes, that would give the student voters a Sheriff
(9405 votes in last election), and  a Prosecuting Attorney (10, 606).
So, imagine, a City Council, Mayor, Chief of Police,City Attorney,
City Supervisor, Sheriff and Prosecutor, all elected by the student
population.

Do you think that they would represent the voters who put them in
office? I do, and then we would see a sea change .

Comments?