[Vision2020] Local Media Celebrity

Selina Davis selinadavis at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 13:48:27 PDT 2009

Joe,

I didn't think anyone was against a respectful discussion here - I said I wasn't expecting a whole lot of respectful discussion between Hitchens and Wilson in the film.  However, the press on the film makes it sound like they may develop a certain affection and respect for one another over the course of the film, which would sure be interesting to watch unfold.

I'm not a Christ Church member.  I'm a non-denominational deist who studied to convert to Reform Judaism in college, but ultimately opted not to ally myself with any particular organized religion.  In college a friend of mine joked that my religion was "Democrat" - I told she'd better take that back because I don't want the Big Guy getting hacked off and going all Old Testament smite-happy on me.  (So I do joke about these things, sometimes in ways some folks may not appreciate.  I try to be sensitive to other's views and faith, but you can't please everybody all the time.)  Now in my mid-30s and the sudden adoptive parent of a 6-year old, I'm revisiting Christian theology to see whether there might not be a Christian viewpoint that meshes with my own worldview and understanding of God's will for us ... I've realized that perhaps I was too quick to write it off as a teenager because the teachings that I was exposed to as a child and teen didn't work for me.

I find religion and politics fascinating.  Our values and belief systems play extraordinarily important roles in our lives - sometimes for good, sometimes for ill.  But I am always willing to listen to folks discuss their beliefs and thoughts in their own words, and to listen charitably and ask questions when needed to help me understand where they're coming from.  I'm a pretty serious-minded person who enjoys exploring ideas about our world (and other times I'm a dang goofball).

So that's a bit about where I'm coming from.

I'd be happy to grab lunch with you sometime, Joe.  Just don't be disappointed that I'm not giving you a chance to finally dine with a Christ Church member.  Can't meet up this afternoon - I'm lit-dropping for Mayor Chaney's re-elect.  But maybe on a weekday after the election is done.

- Selina Davis

Mom, attorney (licensed in WA & ID), Democrat, Gen-Xer, proud feminist, supporter of civil rights for ALL of God's children, and believer in the transformational power of love for God and for our fellow man