[Vision2020] UI Settles With Ex-Workers

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Oct 30 16:13:17 PDT 2009

Sunil,

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that argument.

The more light that is shone on misconduct in public institutions, and the more light that is shone on its costs, the better in my opinion.  Public institutions sometimes bow to public opinion, especially in cases where revealed misconduct is habitual.  They ignore public opinion at their peril in the legislature.

The effect on non-public institutions on sealing cases is irrelevant since it is extremely doubtful that legislation prohibiting the sealing of those cases or parts thereof (with one exception) would ever pass.  The exception is where cases are brought in the public interest.  It may be possible to legislatively prohibit the sealing of anything in those cases.

Please do not take this personally, but attorneys often advise their clients to keep settlements private.  This is generally because the defendant claims they won't settle if the settlement is to become public.  I think that this is a bluff in many cases.  The defendants rely on attorney practices which are designed to wear down and to put extreme pressure on plaintiff resources, especially in the cases a small plaintiff and a large, rich corporation or person defendant.  Attorneys sometimes also agree to seal cases so that the amount of attorney fees assessed remains private (this works unless, of course, the media attends the hearings on costs and attorney fees -- this attendance doesn't happen in Latah County).

I also think that rules or legislation ought be passed greatly limiting what can be sealed in any part of a case, including discovery, especially in criminal cases.  Judge Stegner sealed a lot of material in the Sitler (who had many victims) child sexual abuse case regarding Sitler's potential to reoffend.  I read some of those documents before they were sealed.  In my opinion those documents should be open to the public so that they can form an opinion about what a threat Sitler is, and will probably be all his life.

Sealing documents in any case also prevents the public from assessing the integrity, fairness, competence, diligence, and work ethic of the judge, and in the case of criminal matters, the prosecuting attorney.

In the Sitler case documents about Sitler's sexual proclivities and potential to reoffend were sealed without objection/protest from the prosecutor.  After seeing Judge Stegner's conduct in the Sitler case and one other case, my confidence in his diligence, fairness, and competence really plummeted.  I have an even lower opinion of the county prosecutor which I have expressed here and elsewhere.  Among many of my informed friends and some law enforcement officials I have talked to, there is no disagreement about the latter.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843