[Vision2020] Fwd: FW: Exxon Costs

Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Thu Oct 29 13:52:08 PDT 2009

>Visionaires:

This summer many of you may have noticed the work on Highway 12 between
Lowell to the Montana border.  The project involves expanding the highway
2-4 feet and putting in new bridges and culverts.

Exxon Mobil is paying all the costs and this is where the story becomes
interesting.  Exxon is planning to build a oil refinery in southern Canada.
The need to haul huge or large equipment and machinery by land.  They
require a highway with no overpasses to imped hauling the equipment.  So
Highway 12 passes the test.  The equipment will be barged to Lewiston
and then by large trucks to the Montana border along Highway 12.  Exxon
needed to make road improvements to do the job.  I assume they have
secondary roads in Montana to make the remainder of the journey.

I asked Jim Carpenter, Regional Director of ITD, to send me the information
on the estimated cost of the project.  The amount is over $3.5 million which
is a free gift to the citizens of Idaho.  Obviously Exxon got all of the
necessary permits.

Rep. Tom Trail

--
Dr. Tom Trail