[Vision2020] Public Option Annie

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 23 18:21:05 PDT 2009

Republican pollster Bill McInturff was the keynote speaker on the final
day of the America's Health Insurance Plans's state issues conference on
Friday morning.

But his speech on how the health care reform debate was playing among the
public was interrupted before it even began. A group of protesters began
aggressively cheering McInturff for the work he has done for AHIP (he's a
hired pollster for the private insurance lobby and, most infamously, was
the force behind the 'Harry and Louise' ads in 1994)

McInturff, initially thinking that the cheering was legitimate, thanked
the "AHIP officials" in the back of the room for giving him mental
encouragement for his speech. He was not being paid for his appearance, he
noted.

And then, the protesters -- dressed in business attire to fit into the
crowd -- began singing. A relatively lengthy and harmonious rendition of
"Tomorrow" from the musical Annie ensued, only with the chorus focused on
government-run insurance.

----------------------------------

Public Option Annie - with lyrics
(Recorded at the AHIP Conference)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2QX9sMV5xI

Sing along, V-peeps . . .

Lyrics to "Public Option Annie"
(to the tune of "Tomorrow" from Annie)

SINGER #1

No, thank you!

FOR KILLING THE PUBLIC OPTION

AND BLOCKING ANY HOPES OF ITS ADOPTION

THANK YOU, SIR!

SINGER #2
Sure,

BUT WHAT ABOUT COMPETITION?

IT'S AN OLD AMERICAN TRADITION

OR SO I'VE HEARD?

SINGER #1
Meh.

SINGER #3

WHEN OLYMPIA SNOWE

SAID NO,

IT CROAKED

Right?

SINGER #2

NO, THE OPTION'S NOT DEAD

SINGER #3

OR RED!

SINGER #1

EXPLAIN!

Who let these hippies in here?

SINGERS #2 AND #3, and CHORUS MEMBERS

IF WE GET A PUB-

LIC OPTION

WE CAN SNIFF OUT WASTE

JUST LIKE A DACHSUND

COSTS COME DOWN!

SINGER #1

Hey, those "costs" are my profits!

SINGERS #2 AND #3, and CHORUS MEMBERS

THE OPTION

THE OPTION

THE PUBLIC WANTS OPTIONS

WITHOUT IT,

IT'S A GIVEAWAY

SINGER #1

Exactly. To us. Am I in the right room?

THE OPTION

THE OPTION

THE PUBLIC WANTS AN OPTION

SINGERS #2 AND #3, and CHORUS MEMBERS

OR REFORM IS A CORP'RATE GIVE-A-WAY!

SINGER #1

Well, I've heard enough - my helicopter is parked in a handicap space.

You gotta love these people.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown