[Vision2020] Well, it really seemed like a good idea at the time *S*

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Tue Oct 20 13:44:06 PDT 2009

Sunil,

I'm not sure if that pic was photo shopped or not, but it really
doesn't matter, as "good friends" and "allies"  are always painted in
a rosey light at the time no matter how bad they turn out to be in fact.
For instance, our good friend and ally during WWII, the Soviet Union,
had far more people  in concentration camps and caused far more deaths
than the Nazi's ever thought of, but at the time, they were on "our"
side.

And since most history of wars is written by the "winners", you tend
to get a really warped idea of what really went on unless you're
willing to delve into it.  I'll give you a good example to try. Next
time you run into (not literally) a HS student, ask him or her when
WWII begin, I'll bet you a lunch that they tell you, if they tell you
anything at all, that it was December 7th, 1941. Few realize or are
taught that the war started 1 September 1939 with the invasion of
Poland, and then two weeks later, the Nazi Allies, the Soviet Union
invaded Poland from the east.  How many people realize that Auschwitz
was set up not to house those of the Jewish faith, but was established
to contain the Polish intelligencia? And while we bemoan the Nazi
execution of around 84 US soldiers at Malmédy  during the battle of
the Bulge,  we ignore the exceution of 21,768 Polish soldiers,
educators and soldiers at Katyn by  the Soviets! We went so far as to
deny the proof that was provided by the International Red Cross  at
the time, because by the time the atrocity was discovered, the Soviets
were our allies!

Wayne