[Vision2020] global mean temperature

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 21:31:25 PDT 2009

After some earlier discussion on global warming, I scanned the web
looking for graphs of global temperature.  I found several, but nothing
really good.  So, since I was in need of yet another life-draining
outside-of-work project, I decided I'd go find the data and run some
analyses on it myself.

I found a dataset from the National Climatic Data Center, part of the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.  The data files I used
are located here: ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/v2/

I used the "adjusted" datasets, which have stripped known bad data.

So, a little c programming (and not a few Mountain Dews) later, I had a
graph of global mean temperature.  The  datasets I started with are
averaged for each month, some data going back to the early 1700's.  I
took the monthly values, multiplied them by the number of days per
month, averaged them out for the year, and averaged the data from all
the global temperature stations (many hundreds or even thousands of them
- I haven't counted them) and produced a nice graph that shows the data
for years 1970 through 2009 (attached).

I expected something more straightforward, what I got was an enigma.  I
see a rise in temperature in 1989 - 1993, a slightly smaller peak around
1998, and a severe temperature drop in 2006, which returns almost to
it's previous temperature by 2009.  Obviously, 2009 is not finished, so
that data point will probably change.

I otherwise see a gentle sloping upwards over the course of the last few
decades.  This presumably reflects the presumed global warming and is
part of what is used to predict future temperature.  I'm looking forward
to reading up on methodologies used for determining global mean
temperature, and what sophisticated statistics they use to get there.
It's been 20 years since my last statistics course.

Once my program becomes a little more sophisticated, I'm going to plot
Moscow's weather vs. the global mean, since the U of I has data in the
file going back (iirc) to 1893.  I'm also going to plot min and max
annual temperatures, and plot the monthly values close up around 2006 to
see what happened.

So, what happen in or around 1991, 1998, and 2006?  I'm wondering if
2006 was affected by La Nina or a volcano eruption or something.  I'm
going to plot each month's values per year around that time period too,
to see if I can find out if there's some bad data lurking in the file
somewhere or if it's consistent.

Anyway, a work in progress.

Paul