[Vision2020] RealClimate.org, 10/6/2009: Climate Change Slowing or Stopping?: 371 Responses!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 07:36:17 PDT 2009

A couple of points about this.  First, it's not just the "blogosphere"
that is full of this meme, some respected news sites are running with it
as well.  For example, BBC:

Second, I have seen no claims that the climate models predicted this
cooling trend.  I have posted before about the hubris of assuming that
we have all the myriad variables and interactions dialed in sufficiently
for the models to be truly predictive.  For example, the Sun has been in
a very low minimum that has defied previous predictions by astronomers
as to it's length, and there is some question about whether sunspots
might disappear entirely in the next few years:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/03sep_sunspots.htm.  There are
two major conflicting predictions concerning this topic, one predicts
sunspots vanishing by 2015, the other predicts them returning "in
earnest" within the next year.  How many other inputs to these models
have conflicting predictions, I wonder?

And finally, if our main datasets do not agree sufficiently enough with
each other as to be able to determine if we are in a cooling trend, then
how can we trust the predictions of temperature increases that have been
made, of a few degrees centigrade increases over decades, usually with a
tenth of a degree centigrade precision?

Paul