[Vision2020] ID Public Records Law: UI

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 06:12:55 PDT 2009

Saundra,

I have found that you cannot really sue the University of Idaho for two reasons, it is the State, and they have every half-way decent lawyer on retainer within 75 miles.

But I did discover when they ignored the American with Disabilities Act you can get them to comply by filing a complaint with the Department of Education. The Department of Education will force them to comply with federal law, or they cut funding for the University. This gets their attention and your problem is usually solved right away by the President of the University or another high ranking administrator.

I speak from experience only, but, If I were you, I would decide "exactly" what information and records you wanted. Write a letter detailing the request and citing "The Privacy Act of 1974" Or 5 U.S.C. § 552a, Public Law No. 93-579.

If you don't get a response within 30 days, send another exact letter by certified mail. If you still don't get a response file a complaint with the US Department of Education and the US Department of Justice, with a copy of the certified letter requesting the information.

Keep in mind, however, this could take a long, long, time to get results. As the Federal Government moves at the speed sub-snail. The best way to get information is to simply talk to the people that have it and ask them for it. Most people are very kind and willing to help out others if they are able to do so.

Donovan Arnold