[Vision2020] Realclimate.org: Data Links, Source Page, etc., "Dissent:" "Where's the Data?"

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 19:50:17 PST 2009

Ted Moffett wrote:
> I have repeatedly read commentary by "skeptics" (I think this word to
> describe those who raise serious doubts about the science behind the
> claim that humans are altering climate is unfortunate, because all
> scientists are skeptics by training, or should be), both by PhDs and
> those of more modest education, who have posted directly to this
> list.  Often Realclimate.org scientists will comment on, quote and
> offer references to notable "dissenting" content appearing on other
> websites, in the world of science publishing, or in the media or
> books.  If fact, Realclimate.org is a valuable resource to research
> the most compelling "dissenting" views on climate change.

I don't read realclimate.org, but I'm happy to hear that they allow
dissenting views to be posted on their site.  As for terminology, I
don't particularly care how you choose to classify me.  I like to think
I'm skeptical, and unless you can see into my head, you'll just have to
take my word that I am truly skeptical about this.  Perhaps
"unconvinced" would be a better description.  As for my education level,
I have a B.S. in Computer Science, and a B.S. in Mathematics.  Both from
the fair institution that is this towns largest employer.  Not that it
matters with relation to global warming, but there you go.

It does make me hopeful that I'll get farther in my quest to produce
various global temperature graphs I've been working on over time, though
I see that others have already done something of the sort.  Oh well,
maybe a new take on it will be useful.  If not, it's been a useful
exercise.  Programmers need to keep their tools sharp.

> The discussion below, "Where's the Data?" expresses "dissent" in
> numerous posted comments, along with offering access to "data links to
> sources of temperature and other climate data, codes to process it,
> model outputs, model codes, reconstructions, paleo-records, the codes
> involved in reconstructions etc."

I'm happy to see that calls for public access to data are being heeded.
This can only help everyone.  Perhaps someday the issue will become more
obviously settled and I can join the ranks of the believers - assuming
it doesn't become settled in the opposite direction.

> I will paste in only the beginning commentary and one response in this
> thread, number 32, that amazed because it reads surprisingly as if it
> might have been written by a certain Vision2020 participant that
> appears to have a passionate yet "skeptical" interest in important
> issues regarding climate change:

I think you'll find that more people than just Mr. O'Connor and I are
skeptical of the AGW hypothesis and some of the dire conclusions drawn
from it.  Not steadfastly holding the opposite view, mind you, just
skeptical.  The best way to convert us, in my opinion, is to open
everything up on a level playing field with special attention paid to
data adjustments and climate models.  At this stage, because the very
idea of abuse of the peer review process has been broached, perhaps some
kind of open system for examining prospective papers can be found.

At any rate, thank you for the link to the data sources page.  Once I
finish with charting the NCDC global temp data, I plan to move on to
their precipitation data and then I'll hit some other global temp data
source.  Someday I'll throw sunspots, temperature proxies, cosmic rays,
and carbon dioxide levels in there too, along with various inter-dataset
comparisons.

Also, in your reading, if you run across an explanation of exactly what
adjustments were made to the original CRU global temperature data that
was lost, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Paul