[Vision2020] Hacked Climate Reseach Unit E-mails: 1,092 Responses to “The CRU hack”

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 09:25:06 PST 2009

What I'm doing is ranting about the very idea of someone in such a
position using their political influence to mess with the peer review
process.  This is not a prosecutor's office, it's an email listserv.
I'm sharing my opinion for the benefit of everyone here ;)

Do I know that the email is genuine?  No.  I have at least some reason
to believe it could be, though, because the task of faking some 150+
megabytes of emails and other files would be a daunting one.  There has
also been confirmation that such a hack occurred, and I have seen no
statements saying that individual emails have been tampered with by the
authors of those emails, or that individual emails have been created out
of whole cloth.

There is a difference between trying to minimize the influence of a
journal by using your political influence to coerce other scientists to
not cite papers in and not submit papers to that journal, and "defending
rigorous peer review".  They are not the same thing.  If that paper did
have shoddy science, and I'm not qualified to say if it did or didn't,
then it was a failure of the peer review process.  The solution, though,
isn't to shun the paper involved and to try to change the makeup of the
editorial board to better allow papers you agree with through, it's to
have them analyze when and where the system failed them and to fix it.
Letting a paper like that through, no matter the thesis, hurts their
reputation on it's own.

I am not advocating that any schmuck with a pencil and a notepad should
be able to get a paper published without peer review.  I am advocating
that the peer reviews be on the science, and that political agendas be
thrown out.  Alarmist agendas or contrarian agendas.  When I say "let
the process work", I mean the peer review process that is in place.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not a member of a lobbying group and
I'm not a card-carrying member of any kind of denialist or contrarian
camp.  I'm not on anyone's payroll, except that of the U of I, and they
are definitely not paying me to do this.  I'm a skeptic.  I'm not
convinced that the science is settled.  It's that simple.  Could I
become convinced?  Absolutely.  But currently, I'm not.

Paul