[Vision2020] Hacked Climate Reseach Unit E-mails: 1,092 Responses to “The CRU hack”

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 10:32:57 PST 2009

On 11/25/09, Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ted Moffett wrote:
>
>> Of course you know that unless verified by some means (have you?), the
>> content of these hacked e-mails may have been altered or fabricated.  I
>> therefore would not publicly post them with names of authors, given this may
>> be putting false words into someones mouth, as it were.  Your posting of
>> this hacked alleged e-mail and naming an alleged author is ethically
>> questionable.
>>

> I don't think it's ethically questionable to post quotes from an alleged
> email that I copied from a news site.  Is the hacking unethical, most
> definitely.  Highly illegal as well.  I don't see how posting a quote from
> it that is publicly available is unethical.

It is unethical because you are further spreading hacked e-mail of personal
communications, that has not been verified, that may be altered or
fabricated, possibly continuing to spread misinformation, while making
rather serious charges against a professional scientist, based on this
source.  To be strict, the proper response to your referencing this hacked
e-mail is to discredit your post based on the fact it is from an unreliable
source.

The primary reason I responded to your post of the hacked e-mail is because
the controversy surrounding the Soon and Baliunas (2003) paper (
http://web.archive.org/web/20070704065729/w3g.gkss.de/G/Mitarbeiter/storch/pdf/soon+baliunas.cr.2003.pdf
 )

was mentioned, of great significance regarding credible and rigorous peer
review, because of the implications for science education and accuracy in
public and political arenas, when faulty science is published in supposedly
credible peer reviewed journals.  You are claiming politics is being played
in the world of science publishing to block publication in some cases, while
not mentioning the politics that were played regarding the discredited Soon
and Baliunas (2003) paper, that was published.  This issue is so important,
I will post separately on the history of the political games played
regarding the Soon and Baliunas (2003) paper.

  Your slant on this e-mail does not consider important issues. You did not
>> apparently investigate the facts regarding the Soon and Baliunas paper in
>> "Climate Research," that Mann allegedly referenced, given you wrote "I
>> wonder if what they perceive as a "breakdown in the peer review process"
>> actually means that papers by skeptical authors passed a rigorous scientific
>> review. "
>>

> Here's a pop quiz:
>
> You are a leader in the field of climate science, internationally respected
> and at the heart of one of the world's most important scientific endeavors.
>  You discover a paper that was published in a reputable journal whose
> conclusions you disagree with.  Do you:
>
> A. Analyze the paper, carefully noting the potential problems you find.
>  Send a letter to the authors detailing the problems with a list of
> questions you would like them to answer about their data collection and data
> processing methodologies.  Await their response.
>
> B. Take the data published with the paper and the descriptions of the
> methodologies used and verify whether or not the conclusions can be
> supported by the evidence.  Write a rebuttal if you find problems and get it
> published.
>
> C. Perfom the experiment using your own considerable resources, determine
> whether or not your conclusions agree with theirs, publish your results.
>
> or
>
> D. Use your considerable political clout to stop such papers from being
> published in the first place, including persuading others not to cite papers
> in that journal nor to submit papers to it for review.
> What do you do?
>
> If you choose anything but A through C, you are playing politics, not doing
> science.

It is not simply that some scientists disagreed with the well peer reviewed
and worthy for publication Soon and Baliunas (2003) paper  *The paper was so
flawed it should not have been published as written, and likely would not
have been, as it was written, had it been submitted to numerous other
credible and well peer reviewed scientific journals.*  This has been
analyzed in detail and there is wide scientific agreement on this assessment
(Read my sources on this issue lower down).  The fact it was published was a
breakdown of the peer review process for scientific publishing.  For any
scientist to object to this breakdown, bring this to the attention of the
editors of the journal, inform colleagues that the journal has a flawed
review process, or even suggest they not submit to that journal, is to
defend the integrity of the scientific publishing process.

Do you claim the world of peer reviewed science publishing should be
compelled to print any theory or fact, regardless of how flawed the
reasoning or data?  Again, just as when the New York Times prints false
facts, this undermines the integrity of publishing in journalism, blatantly
junk science published in supposedly credible well peer reviewed science
journals, undermines the integrity of science publishing, and can mislead
those relying on science publishing for the dissemination of reliable
science.

  Encouraging scientific journals to follow rigorous review standards for
>> publication of papers is a defense of the scientific method and the
>> credibility of the scientific community.  There were egregious violations of
>> the scientific review process that occurred in the publication of these
>> "junk science" papers in question.  I offer a source lower down to
>> elucidate.  When supposedly reliable scientific journals publish blatantly
>> junk science, it undermines the credibility of the scientific community,
>> just as when the New York Times publishes false facts, it undermines the
>> credibility of journalism.
>>  I see nothing wrong with a scientist encouraging other scientists to not
>> submit to a journal that has a faulty paper review record. He is possibly
>> doing them a favor!  The papers in question that were published were a
>> "abuse of the peer review system," to quote you, insofar as it failed by
>> publishing them!  Mann was trying to correct an abuse, it seems to me, not
>> engage in one.  But I cannot vouch for his moral integrity.  He may be a
>> scoundrel, even if a well published and brilliant scientist.  I have not
>> investigated his life.
>>

> You think it's an abuse because their conclusions disagree with what you
> *know* is correct.  That's not science, it's religion.  The scientific
> method was specifically designed to distinguish between incorrect theories
> and possibly-correct theories.  Stand back and let it work.

Again, you leave out critical facts in this case.  I do not possess the
expertize to fully assess the scientific issues in the Soon and Balunius
(2003) paper.  But the Soon and Balunias (2003) paper has been found via
extensive peer review to be so faulty that it should not have been published
as written in the first place (
http://web.archive.org/web/20070703025407/w3g.gkss.de/G/Mitarbeiter/storch/pdf/Soon.EosForum20032.pdf
 )

Otto Kline admitted that "CR (Climate Research) should have requested
appropriate revisions of the manuscript prior to  publication." (
http://www.int-res.com/articles/misc/CREditorial.pdf ).  This journal has
admitted it made a mistake, and Michael Mann's alleged statements or actions
concerning this breakdown in the scientific publishing peer review process
appear warranted.

I also know nothing about the man.  It shouldn't really matter, because