[Vision2020] Liberal Agenda?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 25 09:27:58 PST 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 18:43:03 John Pool wrote:
> I'm confused. Just what *is* a liberal agenda? Is it something that
> all liberals have to agree on, or just some? Does it have to be a
> majority, or can it be less than that? What happens if a moderate
> or centrist seeks the same end? Does that make her/him a liberal
> automatically? I'd like some clarification here.

When the phrase "liberal agenda" is used, usually it is a pejorative
reference by someone talking against whatever is perceived to be
undesirable about the matters to which they refer. The phrase has
developed into a shorthand ad hominem argument against whatever
policy the (conservative) speaker opposes.

Liberal is a relative term that needs a reference points in time and
place, culture and subject, and policy status quo vis-à-vis someone
observing. To use it without such referents may be diversionary and
counterproductive toward effective discussion, which may be the
desired effect.

I suspect actual liberals just dispense with using the term in favor
of something more specific, such as legislative agenda or party
platform. On the other hand, in the case of Thanksgiving, a well-set
table and congenial guests make the agenda and the event the same.
Happy Holiday.

Ken