[Vision2020] MPD Press Release re: Dogs

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Nov 24 10:24:59 PST 2009

MOSCOW POLICE DEPARTMENT

118 East 4th Street

Moscow, Idaho 83843

Tel: 208-882-COPS    Fax: 208-882-4020

PRESS RELEASE

November 23, 2009

Dogs make great companions and can bring a lot of happiness to our
lives.  However, as dog owners it is important that we make sure that we
(and our dogs) follow some basic rules to ensure that we are being good
neighbors.

If your dog is off your property you must have your dog on a leash that
is not greater than eight (8) feet in length.  If it is not leashed when
it is off your property your dog is considered "at large", which is a
violation of City of Moscow ordinance MCC 10-5-5.  This at large
ordinance includes the many city parks (except the dog park located on
White Avenue), the walking/bicycling paths, and the Farmer's Market
area.  There are many people who are not comfortable around dogs,
especially ones they do not know, and do not appreciate being 'greeted'
by a dog.  Being off-leash can also lead to dangerous situations for
your dog and for other people.  Please leash your dog when you take it
off your property.

Do not tie your dog in a public place and leave it unattended.
Tethering your pet in public is a violation of MCC 10-5-5 and can lead
to it being impounded.  Dogs can be nervous and upset when left in a
public area.  They may not be as friendly in those situations as they
are when you are with them.  This causes a problem for other people who
are using the same public areas as you.  It also puts your dog at risk.
Keep everyone safe-keep your dog with you when in public.  Protect your
dog by utilizing a leash as well as keeping your dog away from others
unless invited.

Being a responsible pet owner also means cleaning up after your dog in a
public place.  This is not only required by MCC 10-5-12, it is also part
of being a good neighbor.

If you haven't done so already, please remember to license your dogs.  A
lifetime license currently costs $22.50 for a spayed/neutered dog, and
$32.50 for an unaltered dog.  Dog licenses can be purchased at either
the Humane Society of the Palouse or at the Moscow Police Department.

DANIEL L. WEAVER
Prepared by:

            Chief of Police
A.C. David Duke

Following these rules will not only help keep you, your dog, and others
safe, but will also help your dog be a welcome member of our community!