[Vision2020] Institute for Public Accuracy: China, U.S. and Global Warming‏

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:33:21 PST 2009

"China pollutes the world more than the US not because of its proportion of
carbon emissions per person, but because it has made the unwise decision of
having a population of 1.4 billion people."
------------------

You do not have your facts correct, at least on the issue of CO2 pollution.
The US has polluted the atmosphere with far more CO2 in absolute amount than
China (close to 2.5 times as much from 1960-2005), despite China's huge
population, from 1960-2005 (or considering this issue from the beginning of
the industrial revolution).  China is increasing its CO2 emissions, and now
annually in absolute amount (not per capita) is close to or perhaps emitting
somewhat more than the US annual total. But it could be many decades
before China exceeds the US in absolute amounts of CO2 emissions over time,
assuming China increases its emissions dramatically and the US does
not.  But if global progress is made to reduce CO2 emissions, we can hope
that *China* *never achieves the irresponsible position of historically
emitting more CO2 into the atmosphere than the US.*

Consider the data offered at the climateprogress.org website, which is
common knowledge, accepted by anyone doing the most cursory research into
this issue, that up to this point in history, the United States' CO2 total
emissions are both the most in absolute amounts of any nation by a wide
margin, and considered per capita, are even more skewed towards US citizens
each being more responsible for CO2 induced climate change, than the
citizens of any major industrial nation on Earth:

http://climateprogress.org/2009/06/01/us-responsible-for-29-of-carbon-dioxide-emissions-over-past-150-years-triple-chinas-share/

 [image: cumulative-co2-emissions
Greenpeace]<http://climateprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cumulative-co2-emissions.gif>

Here are some more quotable factoids from their report:

   - Historically, no nation has emitted more global warming pollution than
   the United States. From 1960-2005, the U.S. emitted 213,608 MtCO2, 26% of
   total global emissions. The next biggest polluter, China, emitted 88,643
   MtCO2 over the same time frame, 10.7% of global emissions.
   - *The U.S. also exceeded almost every other nation in per capita
   emissions*. Per capita, the U.S. emitted 720 tons of CO2 per person per
   year from 1960-2005. This is *more than ten times China’s per capita
   emissions* (68 tons of CO2) during the same period, and ninety times the
   per capita emissions of Kenya (7.7 tCO2).

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett