[Vision2020] UI Retirees Ask Judge to Reconsider Decision

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 21 12:24:30 PST 2009

Courtesy of today's (November 21, 2009) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

UI retirees ask judge to reconsider or reverse lawsuit decision favoring
university

Group in class-action suit seeking hearing to present oral arguments
Staff report

A group of University of Idaho retirees is hoping a recent class-action
lawsuit decided in the university's favor will be reconsidered in court.

Ron Landeck, the Moscow attorney for the 268 former UI employees, filed
the motion for reconsideration in Latah County District Court on Monday.

The retirees are seeking a hearing to present oral arguments in favor of
the motion.

Judge John Stegner granted summary judgment to the UI and its Board of
Regents on Nov. 2, ruling that the university had the right to modify the
health and life insurance benefits of its employees.

The former employees took early retirement buyouts the university offered
them in 1999 and 2002.

They contend the contracts they signed guaranteed them certain health and
life insurance benefits, which were changed for all retirees following the
recommendations of a 2007 task force.

The contracts said early retirees would be eligible for all benefits they
would have received "under existing UI policy." Stegner's Nov. 2 summary
judgment in the UI's favor said the UI Faculty-Staff Handbook is the only
document the retirees can use to define those benefits.

The handbook also includes language that gives the UI's Board of Regents
the right to modify or cancel benefits.

Landeck's motion for reconsideration asks for summary judgment in favor of
the retirees, including clarification that the intent of the contracts was
to provide specific benefits that were later reduced and a conclusion that
the UI's claimed right to change benefits cannot be used to contradict
that intent.

UI spokeswoman Tania Thompson said Friday the university generally does
not comment on current litigation but is aware that the motion requests
Stegner to reconsider or reverse his decision.

"In this instance, we have not seen the brief, and we don't know if there
is any new basis for this motion," she said.

Landeck did not return calls seeking comment by press time Friday.

My offer to participate in a campus building occupation/sit-in still
stands.  Might I suggest the Student Union Building?  The heating is fully
functional 24/7.  Besides, they sell a great mocha on the first floor.

All we are saying is . . .

"Power to the People"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wos-dDxpJlQ

And out of the hands of puppet magistrates.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown