[Vision2020] Copyright-was "The new The Saga Continues"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:08:48 PST 2009

Palin made a comment recently that she would not pose for a Newsweek cover
photo in shorts.  This could be interpreted not as a issue of sexism, but
simply that Newsweek was promoting a image of Palin that does not project
the respect that more formal clothing inspires.

-------
My comments above I suppose did not clearly state what I intended.  I was
not addressing Newsweek's motivations in the above comments.  I was
addressing the mindset and intentions of Palin and/or her camp, who are
clearly in damage control mode to reconstruct her image to that of a more
"thoughtful serious competent" personality, given some of the interview and
comment gaffes she made or allegedly made during the presidential campaign
(Couric interview, where she dodged a question to name newspapers or
magazines she reads, Gibson interview and the "Bush doctrine" gaffe, the
alleged "I can see Russia from my back yard" comment as evidence of
international experience, et. al.). This perhaps involves intentions far
beyond promoting book sales.  If Palin is open to possibly running for
political office again, which I suppose can be questioned, her image must be
reconstructed to replace the common evaluation in the media that she
lacks intellectual capacity or education.  Thus, though the Palin
camp is playing the "sexist card" in their responses to the Newsweek cover,
a tactic that might place Palin's critics on the defensive and mitigate
further media attacks, what might really be of more concern is that the
Newsweek cover photo did not fully communicate the image of a thoughtful
serious person deserving of professional respect; professional women usually
do not do business in running shorts, they wear more formal attire, of
course, just as professional men.

As to the sex appeal of the Newsweek cover in question, I find it
laughable... Maybe in Saudi Arabia or Kabul would such attire be regarded as
sexual, but given current standards of public dress for women in the US, the
running outfit is modest.  What is or is not sexually attractive is
subjective and conditioned by culture, of course.  No doubt some find this
photo to have sexual appeal, but for others viewing it might be therapy for
priapism

Ted Moffett