[Vision2020] The Fowl, Council and Right To Grow Food

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 18 00:23:05 PST 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 23:24:35 Garrett Clevenger wrote:
> If I got anything out of this council episode, it's that they need
> to not pass laws with only one vote when they have a rule requiring
> 3 votes.  They should give citizens a chance to provide input
> before passing laws that will affect us all.

If this measure is now law, perhaps it would behoove local citizens
interested in animal agriculture, infectious diseases, and public
health to monitor any near future correlations among additional and
closer animal proximity, human health problems and disease incidence,
and possible animal and pathogen interactions as disease vectors.

Given that the world, and the USA in particular, is reported to be in
the midst of what may be the most deadly influenza outbreak in
living, or at least recent, memory, and the growing awareness of the
efficacy of avian transfer agents in interspecies virus transmission,
it appears less than completely appropriate that new regulations
allowing closer proximity of domestic fowl in urban areas would be
approved without consideration of these observations and their
possible effects.

Ken