[Vision2020] The new The Saga Continues...

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 17 21:16:43 PST 2009

Dan, Sunil, I'm wild about you both -- so let me explain.

Women have, traditionally, been the focus of dismissal and denigration simply because they're women -- or gals, or babes, or chicks, or "C" words, or bitches.

Sarah Palin, however, can and should be dismissed; she appears incapable of serious insight, introspection, and intelligence -- things I would require of the Mayor of Wasilla, the Vice President of the U.S., and, frankly, the mother of real, live children.  She shouldn't be denigrated as a person, as if she has no ontological worth, but honesty permits one to conclude that she's dumb, brash, and shallow, has chosen to stay that way, and appears to want to cash in on it.  Reverting to gender-based insults not only  perpetuates the harm done to women, but misdirects the outrage a lot of people feel toward her.  It ain't because she's a woman that she's a dim bulb; she's a dim bulb, and an obnoxious one, because she chooses to be.  Independent of having ovaries, even.

That doesn't, by the way, mean that you can't use "woman" to describe her, as in, "I don't think she's a very bright woman, frankly" -- but not, "I think the bitch is just a dumb c---."  Now I know my pal Area Man, of whom I really am fond, and my pal Sunil, who I also think a lot of, obviously understand that.  It just bothers me that other people don't.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com