[Vision2020] National Center for Atmospheric Research: Record Daily High Temperatures Far Outpace Record Lows In US

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 15 09:15:46 PST 2009

A quote from the article:

"If the climate weren't changing, you would expect the number of
temperature <http://www.physorg.com/tags/temperature/> records to
diminish significantly over time," says Claudia Tebaldi, a statistician
with Climate Central who is one of the paper's co-authors. "As you
measure the high and low daily temperatures each year, it normally
becomes more difficult to break a record after a number of years. But as
the average temperatures continue to rise this century, we will keep
setting more record highs."

They don't actually say that the number of temperatures is actually
diminishing over time or not.  Since they bring up as an expected
consequence of climate change, you would think they would declare
whether or not it was diminishing.

Another quote from the article:

The study also found that the two-to-one ratio across the country as a
whole could be attributed more to a comparatively small number of record
lows than to a large number of record highs. This indicates that much of
the nation's warming is occurring at night, when temperatures are
dipping less often to record lows. This finding is consistent with years
of climate model research showing that higher overnight lows should be
expected with climate change.

This would lead me to believe that the number of record highs and lows
is diminishing over time, as you would expect.

Would it have killed them to provide the simple numbers of record highs
and lows next to the by-decade ratios?  I'd rather see more information
in a graph than a cute picture of the US and large 3D bars.

If I get more time to crunch data, I'll see if I can provide a similar
global graph, albeit using data that is aggregated at the monthly level
rather than the daily level, since that's all I have access to.  I doubt
I'll have anything in the near future, since I'm really busy at work and
I have to write more code to limit the stations to those that existed in
1950 and to do the counts of record highs and lows.  Not to mention that
I'm still working on getting monthly graphs and trying to extract data
for Moscow to see what that looks like.

Paul