[Vision2020] Battling for a Three-War Veteran

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 13 11:20:49 PST 2009

As you read the following article, courtesy of Disabled American Veterans at:

http://www.dav.org/news/documents/magazine.pdf

think of Senate Bill 1963, the Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health
Services Act of 2009

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-1963

and Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK), the senator who refuses to support Senate
Bill 1963.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/11/military_veteransbill_coburnhold_110309w/

Battling for a Three-War Veteran
By Thom Wilborn

At age 93, Sylvester Ackerman’s eyes have witnessed some of the most
dramatic events in recent history. A DAV life member, he is a veteran of
World War II, the Korean War and two tours of duty in Vietnam. Yet he
seldom talked of his experiences and never felt he was owed anything for
his sacrifices.

During World War II, Ackerman was among those who landed in North Africa,
then moved on to combat in the invasion of Anzio, Italy, where he was
wounded. Next came the allied landing in southern France and fighting in
Germany. He was part of the occupation forces in both Germany and Japan.
Besides tough fighting at Chosin Reservoir in North Korea, he later served
at Pleiku and An Khe during two consecutive tours in Vietnam with the
First Air Cavalry.

Joining the Army in October 1941, Ackerman served 30 years in uniform,
retiring as a command sergeant major. In 1983, he was diagnosed with
Parkinson’s disease. His wife, Elizabeth, has provided loving care and
retired from her job in 2003 to devote herself to full-time care for her
husband, whose health had deteriorated to the point where he could not be
alone.

But in January 2008, in her mid-70s, Elizabeth no longer had the physical
strength to help her husband. So she had him placed in a nursing care
facility near home in Tacoma, Wash. There she can visit him several times
a day, giving him the love and attention that evolves over 55 years of
marriage. Meanwhile, the cost of his care was exhausting the family’s
financial reserves and threatening their future
well-being.

“Retirement clearly cut my income, and the cost of the nursing home was
oppressive,” she said. “The financial effect was demoralizing, plus the
lack of recognition that he had made so many sacrifices for our country.”

“Every month, he was asking, Are you paying all the bills?” said Elizabeth.

But the disabled veteran of the bloodiest combat of the 20th century
didn’t have a disability rating that would qualify for VA nursing home
care. And when Elizabeth sought help from some veterans organizations, all
she got was “paperwork to fill out and it never went anywhere,” she said.
“We had been seeking help for two years at the point when I went to the
DAV.”

Attending a retirement day event at Ft. Lewis, Wash., Army Reservation,
she was waiting in a long line for service when she saw the DAV
information desk. “I had a two-hour wait and saw the DAV, so I thought I
had nothing to lose,” she said. National Service Officer Gregory F.
Kotanchick soon contacted Elizabeth and went to work on Ackerman’s claim.

“As I started reviewing the file, it became apparent there was not only 30
years of service, but service during three different wars,” said
Kotanchick. “I discovered he was awarded a Purple Heart and Bronze Star.
It was very gratifying to see that this gentleman was deserving of more
benefits than he was receiving.”

Ackerman’s service medical record showed that he had received an Achilles
tendon transplant in 1951, which ultimately resulted in a 60 percent
disability rating. But NSO Kotanchick found that Ackerman also suffered
shrapnel wounds in his back, with metal fragments remaining, plus other
injuries resulting from his Korean War service.

Because of Ackerman’s age, Kotanchick worked with the Seattle VA Regional
Office Decision Review Officer to expedite the claim, and a VA physician
made a house call to examine Ackerman. In six weeks, Ackerman’s rating was
increased to 100 percent permanent and total disability. That rating would
provide nursing home care for the veteran
and would provide VA health care and education benefits for any
dependents. The claim was made retroactive to Aug. 1, 2006, the date
Ackerman first filed his claim.

“I was just absolutely astounded,” said Elizabeth. “I can’t ever get over
that. It was just unbelievable.”

Ackerman was overjoyed with the news and asked his wife, “What did we ever
do to deserve this?” said Elizabeth. “I said it is what you did to deserve
this.”

“All I can say is ‘Thank you, thank you, thank you.’” she said.

“The DAV is a superior organization,” said Elizabeth. “It’s not just the
claims work. The DAV has the kindest people.”

“I can’t think of a more deserving veteran and his family getting the
benefits they are entitled to,” said NSO Kotanchick. “It was very
rewarding to work hand-in-hand with the VA on behalf of this veteran and
his needs. All the factors came together, and we worked in a way we should
always work.”

“It shows what DAV can accomplish on a daily basis in helping our
veterans,” said National Service Director Randy Reese.

Or as Elizabeth Ackerman puts it, “With the DAV, I’m not just one person
alone. I can stand up and do more.”

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.