[Vision2020] more global temperature data charts

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 20:13:03 PST 2009

I finally found time to get back to playing around with the global
temperature data from the NOAA.

Here are two charts, one showing min, mean, and max values for global
temperature for 1980 through 2009, compiled by year, using the adjusted
dataset.  The second is the same as the first, except that it covers the
period 1851 through 2009.

Some interesting anomalies: There is a severe spike in minimum
temperatures in the early 90's.  The chart for the full number of years
show a gradual expansion of min and max values around the mean until
about 1890 or so.  My first assumption is that the steady increase in
the numbers of sites taking measurements would be the reason for this.
In the temperature range shown in the graph, the mean line looks really
flat, except for the occasional change, such as the large drop around
2006.  The maximum values do appear to be steadily rising.

I've also included the spreadsheet from which I made the charts.

Paul