[Vision2020] Taxing churches (was: vandals strike again)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 10:55:08 PST 2009

Ken,

It is nice to hear from someone who is very opinionated, I like that in a person, and can effective and eloquently articulate such fallacious arguments..

You are missing the forest for the trees. Taxing churches is giving the state the power to shut down churches or to influence clergy with the threat of tax increases if they they preach what the general public doesn't want it to preach. This is the reason they cannot be taxed in a truly free society.

"Political organizations are expected to attempt to provide some
rational explanation for their proposals, positions, and policies."

Really? Name one! : P

"Churches exist to provide an environment within which the lack of
rationality with respect to beliefs is tolerated and protected."

This is your definition, and an incorrect and narrow one. Churches exist for many different reasons, including, but not limited to the providing of needed services to its congregation and other members of the public.

"The results of personal belief are expected to
affect only the believer of those particular tenets, to satisfy the
individual, and not to effect changes upon others in a community."

Again, this is incorrect. People and organizations do not operate in a vacuum.

"Many contemporary churches are public user interfaces (PUIs) for real
estate investment and holding companies. These large financial
organizations are, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable from
tax shelters to dodge and to escape what otherwise would be enormous
income taxes on real estate transactions and property taxes for the
ongoing services provided by the communities within which those
properties exist."

These are not Churches. This is considered fraud. And no, most churches are not fraudulent.

"This is an expression of your belief, which happens to be incorrect.
Persons and organizations without political concerns do exist."

Sorry, but I am afraid University Professors would disagree. I may not be educated in every subject, but one of my degrees is in political science and it is the study of, "who gets what, when and how".

If you agree with this definition, then you cannot logically agree with your definition that any organization attempting to influence the behavior of others to get something is apolitical.

AARP the NAARP, NAACP, PFLAG, are all tax exempt organizations that lobby for political gain, have clear political agendas, and influence elections directly.

All a church has to do is split each of its parts into three groups. One for religion, one as a PAC, and one as 501(c) non-profit, and it would have the exact same impact and results as today. That is the reality.

Donovan Arnold