[Vision2020] 19 of 19 Precincts

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 5 13:46:54 PST 2009

Numbers are a funny thing. Especially in Moscow.

You have to realize, that 32% voter turnout includes the student population.. Only about 100-300 students participate in local elections even when candidates visit and campaign on campus. In addition, a large number of registered students that voted in the Presidential election, are not even living in Moscow anymore, so they cannot vote, but are still on the books for years. Or only registered just to vote in the 2008 Presidential election.

If you look at the core of the Moscow population, about 11,000 people, count out children, those that just moved, non-US citizens, and others not allowed to voted, 4,000 is a lot of people voting in a small town off year election.

Even if every year round, non-student, eligable voter in Moscow registered and voted, you would be hard pressed to even reach 50%.

In reality, about 80% of regular year round residents of Moscow, vote about 80% of the time.  Which is pretty damn good in comparison to other cities around the country.

Donovan Arnold