[Vision2020] Reverse Racism?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun May 31 13:06:12 PDT 2009

Evidence of intellectual deficit re: Justice Thomas?  If I'm not mistaken, he has yet to offer an independent dissent or defense of a ruling, relying instead, it seems, on the work of Scalia and now Roberts and Alito.  His background was less stellar than Sotomayor's, and yes, if he used his experiences as a man of color born in relative poverty to hone his judicial wisdom, he likely would render a richer, more wise decision.  Unfortunately, he spends much of his public presence in decrying the same programs that benefited him.  I also think that knocking his sister as a "welfare queen" is not only cruel, but also plays distressingly into the far-right playbook that derides poor women of color in the same way.

I find it interesting that white men who howl about affirmative action and entitlement are evidently unable to see that very many of their compatriots in the halls of power in this country were the recipients of "special consideration," like "legacy admissions" to Yale for George W. Bush, that elevated them not because of their ability and experience, but because of who they were apart from ability and experience.  "Who they were" was defined by their being white men.  For generations, white men have been boosted onto pedestals of power by other white men, richer, more powerful, older, and more seasoned, who knew their fathers, worked with their grandfathers, were beholden to their uncles, or golfed with their brothers.  Patronage, legacy admissions, nepotism, and political pay-back are forms of affirmative action that have benefited the majority but are now forgotten in the debate over legitimate social policy and "reverse racism."

Disclaimers:  I'm married to and in love with a white man, I've raised two young white men to adulthood, and my beloved dad was a white man.  What's wonderful about all of them is that they recognize that their skin color and gender will generally favor them in this world, and they recognize that as true injustice, seek to reduce how much they benefit from it, and work for justice across gender, race, class and social lines.  Further disclaimer:  My 20-year-old son is a UI student, as were both of his grandfathers and five previous generations of Mixes.  He is on a Presidential Scholarship, which he was awarded on the basis of his GPA and leadership activities in high school, from which he graduated summa cum laude.  He has continued with a 3.8 GPA while working through his first two years of school.  He is a classic prototype of "legacy admission," but the UI isn't the Ivy League, and Anthony Mix isn't George W. Bush.  And if his Mom weren't so well-known, and so likely to attract criticism for her views, none of this would have to be brought up.

But it is what it is, isn't it?

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/