[Vision2020] Reverse Racism?

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sat May 30 20:29:00 PDT 2009

Good question, Gary.

Here is an example of affirmative action that is not reverse racism.

Suppose a philosophy department in a state university wants to hire
one of two applicants, who are equal in all respects. One is a man,
another is a woman. Suppose someone decides to vote for the woman
because (a) it is a state university and the state should hire
teachers that represent the demographics of the state and (b) there
are no women in the department.

I see nothing racist about this.

Joe Campbell