[Vision2020] Reverse Racism?

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Fri May 29 21:02:19 PDT 2009

This article appeared on the KLEW website, and I'm printing it here with a
question for the Visionaries, is it a case of reverse racism?

LEWISTON - A Nez Perce Tribal elder and paralegal says law enforcement
overstepped its bounds during a shooting on Cottonwood Creek Road last
week.
Randall Vernon Ellenwood died and Ricardo Daniel Rodriguez was injured
when they were shot by the officer in what is described as a traffic stop
and ensuing physical altercation.
In a news release issued Tuesday, ISP said their trooper, who allegedly
fired the shots at the men, had jurisdiction on the county road.
But the owner of the property where the shootings happened, Clifford
Allen, says when the trooper stepped on Indian-owned land, he was nothing
more than "A mad man with a pistol in his hand."
"For him to do what he did was absolutely illegal," said Allen. "What he
should have done was stopped down at the highway and waited for his
backup, which was the Tribal Police."
Allen said he wasn't home until about 15 minutes after the shooting took
place, and has not seen video of the actual incident. He says that video
may exist though.
Allen doesn't deny reports that the men fled ISP after a previous traffic
stop, but says the men "sensed a hatred" in the trooper and felt the need
to flee to a "sanctuary" or "safe place."
"I wasn't home and so they just kind of stopped and did things on their
own," said Allen. "Unfortunately had I been there, they'd probably still
be alive."
ISP says the officer opened fire after being attacked and overpowered by
the two men. The officer involved has not been identified.
Allen said Ellenwood was a family friend who went to school with his
children.
Allen says he is acting as Rodriguez’ consultant, as the FBI continues its
investigation.
Allen said he is meeting with attorneys at the end of the week to pursue
legal action against the state and county officers on his property that
day.
"We'll have to do something of that sort in order to prove that their
liable by trespass, and if that's the case, they have to pay for damages,"
said Allen.