[Vision2020] Obama to Name Sotomayor as Supreme Court Pick

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu May 28 21:13:10 PDT 2009

To read Sotomayor's not-particularly-scandalous speech, click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/politics/15judge.text.html

Note the title of her talk: "Raising the Bar: Latino and Latina
Presence in the Judiciary and the Struggle for Representation."  This
might give you some clue as to its topic.

Here is a relevant quote:

"I accept the proposition that, as Judge Resnik describes it, 'to
judge is an exercise of power' and because as, another former law
school classmate, Professor Martha Minnow of Harvard Law School,
states 'there is no objective stance but only a series of perspectives
- no neutrality, no escape from choice in judging,' I further accept
that our experiences as women and people of color affect our
decisions. The aspiration to impartiality is just that--it's an
aspiration because it denies the fact that we are by our experiences
making different choices than others."