[Vision2020] Where in the World???

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon May 25 20:33:44 PDT 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 19:32:59 Chasuk wrote:
> If I was going to stop buying Western Family pickles because they are
> outsourced from India, then what else would I have to stop buying,
> following the same principle?

I think the implied suggestion is that food items from far away are more
expensive monetarily and ecologically because the petro-products used in
their growth and transport add excessively to the foodstuff's cost. Buying as
much food from as close to home as possible minimizes some of those costs.

Buying more fresh foods in season supports local farmers, makes eaters more
aware and appreciative of the source, quality, and quantity of what is eaten.
It may mean that you'll consume less fresh fruit out of (North American)
season, so, for example, fresh fruit salad in January would be less likely.

Suggested reading: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara
Kingsolver, and The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, by
Michael Pollen.

Ken