[Vision2020] And From Moscow We Have . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:09:02 PDT 2009

If what you are claiming is true, that simply exiting a vehicle and locking
it during a traffic stop, voids the legal right of law enforcement to
conduct a warrantless search, forcing them to obtain a warrant, when
probable cause is discovered during a traffic stop, such as in the traffic
stop for speeding in Illinois v. Cabbales, which after a drug dog alerted,
resulted in a warrantless search that was upheld by the US Supreme court,
then how easy it is to block warrantless vehicle searches!  It would seem
this tactic would be in widespread use to complicate vehicle searches.

But based on my reading on Arizona v. Gant and Illinois v. Caballes, and the
different situations they cover, we appear to be talking past each other, or
I don't understand the laws (likely).

You did not respond to or refute the quote, from
apublicdefender.com(towards the bottom of this post), that explicitly
stated, unless I read
this wrong, that Arizona v. Gant does not ban warrantless vehicle searches
for traffic stops.  A quote from Justice Scalia relating to Arizona v. Gant
relates to this discussion.

Also, as far as I have been able to determine, a driver locking a vehicle
during a traffic stop, while a discouragement to law enforcement entering
the vehicle, does not legally create a situation where a warrant must be
obtained to search the vehicle, when probable cause is present, such as drug
dog alerts to the vehicle in Illinois v. Cabbales during a traffic stop for
speeding.  Arizona v. Gant ruled that a warrant must be obtained to search a
vehicle in the situation in the specifics of that case (very different than
in Illinois v Cabbales, which is why I explicitly asked for a
source regarding whether the Illinois v. Cabbales ruling has been
overturned).  Whether the vehicle was locked or not I don't think is
critical.  Even if the vehicle was unlocked, doors swinging open, a warrant
still must be obtained, if my understanding of Arizona v. Gant is correct.
I clarify more on Arizona v. Gant and Illinois v. Cabbales at the bottom of
this post.

If you are correct, that stepping out of a vehicle and locking it (with
modern vehicles remote controls can do this for all doors, trunk etc.,
quickly) immediately changes a situation where law enforcement has legal
right to conduct a warrantless search of the vehicle with probable cause
(drug dogs alerting, for example) during a traffic stop, then warrantless
searches of vehicles during traffic stops can be blocked easily.  But I
can't find any reference to a law, or even advice from a "protect your
rights" website, that explicitly states that exiting and locking a vehicle
will force law enforcement to obtain a warrant (even when the vehicle is
unoccupied) to conduct a search during a traffic stop when probable cause is
present.  Some of the "protect your rights" websites do recommend locking a
vehicle during a traffic stop, but none I have read make it clear that this
act will force law enforcement to obtain a warrant.  Can you can source the
court case that explicitly supports your claim?  I don't think Arizona v.
Gant covers the same situation as Illinois v. Cabbales.

I just found a source that addressed a locked car being subject to a legal
warrantless search by law enforcement.  This source supports my assumption
that force may be used to enter the vehicle in this situation if locked,
even if the vehicle is not occupied, though the law may have changed since
this information was written.  However, it still may be good advice to lock
a vehicle during a traffic stop, given it may discourage law enforcement or
be useful in an appeal if they break in, even if they have the legal right
to use force to search:

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/legjan95.htm

>From website above:

OK - you're thinking, "That's fine and dandy, but what does it really mean
to me, a working law enforcement officer in North Carolina?" Hey, I'm glad
you asked, because *Isleib* (building on *Carroll* and other cases) means
this:

1. You may approach any vehicle parked on public property (city street,
highway, etc.) or on a public vehicular area (any property generally open to
and used by the public for vehicular traffic; i.e., mall parking lot, store
parking lot, etc.) and look into the passenger area of the vehicle. Such
action is *not* a search (even if you aid your vision with a flashlight) and
you need no suspicion to even approach a vehicle already parked. If at any
point in time you develop probable cause to search the vehicle, you may do
so without a warrant even if it is not then occupied. If the vehicle is
locked, you may use reasonable force to break and enter the vehicle (see
G.S. 15A-251).

-------------------
Regarding the scope of Arizona v Gant:

http://apublicdefender.com/2009/04/22/4th-amdmt-gets-cpr-arizona-v-gant/

>From website above:

Notable, however, is another holding within this decision: that police will
always be entitled to search the interior of a vehicle if the evidence of
the *instant* offense might be discovered within it. Obviously, this would
not apply to traffic violations.
----

And quoting Justice Scalia regarding Arizona v. Gant:

"In my view we should simply abandon the Belton-Thornton charade of officer
safety and overrule those cases. I would hold that a vehicle search incident
to arrest is ipso facto “reasonable” only Cite as: 556 U. S. ____ (2009) 3
SCALIA, J., concurring when the object of the search is evidence of the
crime for which the arrest was made, or of another crime that the officer
has probable cause to believe occurred."

-----------
This quote from Scalia clearly distinguishes Arizona v. Gant from Illinois
v. Cabbales.  The "object of the search is evidence of the crime for which
the arrest was made,..." in the case of a drug dog alert leading to a
vehicle search discovering controlled substances, which results in an arrest
for that offence, as in Illinois v. Cabbales.  In Arizona v. Gant, an arrest
had already been made, and the subject secured, and was no longer a threat
to law enforcement, for crime(s) not related to the contents of the vehicle
law enforcement warrantless searched.  In Arizona v. Gant, the ruling
indicates a warrant is required to search a vehicle in the situation
covered, and I do not think it matters whether or not the vehicle to be
searched is locked or not.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett